The Department of Community Medicine is well known for its value-based education and contribution to all strata of the society. Through teaching and training, community service and research initiatives, the department contributes significantly to develop empowered physicians of first contact.
- Undergraduates are trained in community action and taught how to organise health centres and initiate health programmes.
- Health camps and community awareness programmes provide an accurate understanding of curative and preventive medicine to the students.
- The focus of the Department of Community Medicine is to prepare better, more compassionate doctors who are socially accountable. This is achieved by teaching students about health, development, human values, compassion, sympathy, sincerity and honesty.
- A large focus is placed on learning by doing and students are encouraged to interact with village panchayat members and local residents..
- Students undergo a 2 month internship in this department – 1 month in an urban setting and 1 month in a rural setting, where they live with the local community, and learn and practice under the local Medical Officer. This internship provides a deeper insight into the role of society, culture and income on health, its prevention and treatment. Interns learn the craft of medicine with the art of social understanding and gain the ability to provide healthcare with minimal resources.
- The MD programme in Community Medicine is an advanced course involving close faculty-student interaction; focus on research, field activities and clinical experience.
- In the Department of Community Medicine, students cover the 3 critical aspects of Service, teaching and research. While they are posted to the RHTC and the UHTC, the second half of the day is dedicated to learning through journal reviews, seminars and case presentations.
- MD students are given external postings to old age homes, hospices, institutes of public health importance, industries, NGOs, administration postings to the RHTC & UHTC